GOING, Austria -- FIFA President Sepp Blatter said Brazil might have been the wrong choice as host of the 2014 World Cup if the tournament is affected by social protests like those as at the Confederations Cup last month. Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians took to the streets during the warm-up tournament in June, demanding better public services and expressing their anger over the costs to stage the World Cup. "If this happens again we have to question whether we made the wrong decision awarding the hosting rights," Blatter told German press agency DPA on Wednesday. FIFA spoke with the Brazilian government after the Confederations Cup, and Blatter said hell discuss the issue again with Brazil President Dilma Rousseff in September. "We didnt do a political debriefing, but we did emphasize the fact of this social unrest being there for the entire duration of the Confederations Cup," he said. "The government is now aware that next year the World Cup shouldnt be disturbed. "To me, these protests were like alarm bells for the government, the senate, the parliament. They should work on it so that this is not going to happen again. Though protests, if peaceful, are part of democracy and therefore have to be accepted ... we are convinced the government, and especially the president, will find the words and the actions to prevent a repeat. They have a year to do so." Blatter was speaking at the start of a two-day conference on sports, media and economy set up by German great Franz Beckenbauer in Austria. FIFA later verified the comments were accurate. The Confederations Cup, which was won by Brazil, angered citizens who are upset with the billions of dollars spent on the tournaments while they endure underfunded schools and hospitals. Protesters aired a wide spectrum of grievances, including the high cost of hosting the 2016 Rio Olympics. The protests were originally organized by university students before spreading across the country, including tournament host cities Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Fortaleza and Belo Horizonte. "Its not we who have to learn lessons from the protests in Brazil -- politics in Brazil have to do that," said Blatter, adding that "FIFA cannot be held responsible" for social discrepancy in the country. Without FIFAs executive committee having to vote, Brazil won the right to host the tournament in October 2007. That was six months after the only other candidate, Colombia, withdrew its bid. "The decision for Brazil was the best decision we could make. It was the correct decision, we stick to this decision," Blatter said. Blatter said the success of next years tournament will be instrumental in his decision whether to stand for president for a fifth time in 2015, adding that not all of the governing bodys tasks have been fulfilled yet. "First we have to complete the reforms, which are three-quarters done. Ill then have to deliver the World Cup ... the way the world looks now, Ill say yes or no (to standing again) at the next congress in Sao Paulo in 2014," he said. "FIFA should be taken over by someone who can take over a FIFA which is not just financially healthy, which it is now, but which also has credibility." Ryan Callahan Lightning Jersey . -- The Missouri Tigers might not have a roster full of superstars. Vincent Lecavalier Lightning Jersey .C. -- Rodney Hood connected from all over the court while freshman Jabari Parker was busy swatting shots and scoring in transition. http://www.lightninghockeystore.us/Customized/ . Now tied for second in the league in shootout goals, the 24-year-old likes to see what the opposing goaltender has in store before he ultimately lands on a move. Victor Hedman Lightning Jersey . Clarkson had been dealing with an elbow injury in early January and will be out of action for at least one week. He has three goals and five assists through 36 games with the Leafs this season. Yanni Gourde Lightning Jersey . -- The Sacramento Kings are set to become the first major professional sports franchise to accept Bitcoin virtual currency for ticket and merchandise purchases. The University of Tennessee has reached a financial settlement with a group of women who sued the school in federal court for the way it handled their allegations of sexual assaults by student-athletes.According to documents obtained by ESPN, the university will pay the eight women $2.48 million.According to court records, the sides had a teleconference with U.S. District Court Judge Aleta Trauger on Tuesday. The federal trial was scheduled to begin in May 2018 at the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee in Nashville.On Feb. 9, a group of six unidentified women filed a federal civil lawsuit against Tennessee, alleging that the school violated Title IX regulations and created a hostile sexual environment through a policy of indifference toward assaults by student-athletes.According to a UT release, the settlement agreement specifically provides that the university is not admitting guilt, negligence or unlawful acts. UT officials said they have already spent $220,000 litigating the case and estimated that it would cost another $5.5 million if the case ended in trial. David Randolph Smith, the Nashville attorney who represents the eight women, said his clients are dismissing their lawsuit against UT.My clients and I are dismissing the lawsuit with prejudice and signed the settlement agreement, Smith said in a statement. We are satisfied that, while universities everywhere struggle with these issues, the University of Tennessee has made significant progress in the way they educate and respond to sexual assault cases. My clients and I are also convinced that the Universitys leadership is truly committed to continue its exemplary efforts to create a model as it relates to sexual misconduct.If we all can look ahead and imagine our states flagship university as a leader in awareness, education, support and aggressive response to these issues, this lawsuit and the resulting outcome would have contributed in a small way to the safety, well-being and hopeful futures of many young people who from time to time call the University of Tennessee home.No university will be able to prevent every incident of students, faculty or staff making bad judgments, Tennessee chancellor Jimmy Cheek said. Like many institutions, we are not perfect, but our goal is to continue to be the best we can be at creating awareness, educating and preventing discrimination and abuse in any form and to continue to be equally prepared when it does happen and to deal with it promptly, sensitively, fairly and effectively. Weve come a long way in recent years, and we are working every day to be even better. Our first priority is the safety and well-being of every member of our University community.In June, Trauger issued a gag order in the case, which prohibits the attorneys from talking about the high-profile case.Tennessee football coach Butch Jones and athletic director Dave Hart didnt respond to telephone messages from ESPN.The original complaint, filed by six women who were identified as Jane Does 1-6, claimed that Tennessees policies made students more vulnerable to sexual assault and said the school had a clearly unreasonable response after incidents that caused the women making complaints to endure additional harassment. The suit also stated that the university interfered with the disciplinary process to favor male athletes.According to the lawsuit:??Jane Doe I alleged that former Tennessee basketball player Yemi Makanjuola sexually assaulted her in his dorm room on Feb. 15, 2013. She had a rape exam the next day, and he was subsequently found in violation of UTs General Standard of Conduct for assaulting the woman. The suit alleges that his attorney filed a request for an administrative hearing to contest the charges, which allowed Makanjuola to remain on Tennessees basketball team for the remaainder of the season and then transfer to another school without being disciplined.dddddddddddd.??Jane Doe II alleged that an unidentified UT football player sexually assaulted her at Vol Hall on Sept. 6, 2014. The schools Office of Student Judicial Affairs found him responsible for assaulting the woman, but UT later withdrew its findings and found no violation of student conduct for sexual assault.??Jane Doe III alleged that an unidentified Tennessee student and two unidentified Tennessee State students sexually assaulted her on Oct. 12, 2014. According to the lawsuit, the Tennessee student, who was not an athlete, was found responsible for assaulting her in a disciplinary hearing. The woman claimed that she was unable to consent to having sex with the men because she was incapacitated after being provided alcohol by members of the UT football team at a party at Vol Hall earlier that night.??Jane Doe IV alleged that Tennessee football players A.J. Johnson and Michael Williams sexually assaulted her at an off-campus apartment on Nov. 6, 2014. The suit claims that a university investigation concluded that Johnson and Williams had committed sexual assault. The former players were indicted on aggravated rape charges in February 2015, and their criminal trials were postponed this summer.??Jane Doe V alleged that as a Title IX investigation witness, she was subjected to retaliation and collective victim blaming that occurred in the wake of the assault of Jane Doe IV, her teammate and roommate. Jane Doe V claimed that she received multiple text messages from UT football players, including one of the alleged rapists, intended to discourage both her and Jane Doe IV from reporting the assault to authorities.??Jane Doe VI alleged that a Tennessee football player sexually assaulted her at her apartment on Feb. 5, 2015. At the time of the assault, the man was dating her roommate. After Jane Doe VI reported the assault, the lawsuit alleged, his roommates, also UT football players, repeatedly called her to discourage her from reporting the assault. The lawsuit alleges that a UT investigation improperly concluded that the woman didnt resist the former players advances.In an amended complaint filed in mid-February, two women were added to the lawsuit. One woman claimed that she was sexually assaulted by Volunteers wide receiver Von Pearson in April 2015. Pearson was not charged criminally but was found to have violated the schools code of conduct, according to the lawsuit. The woman claimed that the university mishandled her claims against Pearson, who was reinstated to the school and allowed to rejoin the team.The other woman accused defensive lineman Alexis Johnson of assaulting her on Valentines Day. He was arrested in February after allegedly assaulting the woman in his apartment, and he was subsequently suspended from the team. Johnson, a transfer from Fort Scott (Kansas) Community College, agreed to a plea deal in April, which reduced a felony aggravated assault charge to a misdemeanor and dropped a false imprisonment charge altogether, as long as Johnson stays out of trouble for six months.The amended lawsuit also alleged that former Tennessee player Drae Bowles was assaulted by teammates for helping Jane Doe IV, who claimed two UT players sexually assaulted her. Bowles claimed that Jones said he betrayed the team and later called him back to apologize for calling him a traitor. Jones has denied the accusation.In a sworn statement included with the amended lawsuit, Bowles said he was punched in the mouth and bloodied by star linebacker Curt Maggitt as retribution for helping the woman. He also said he was confronted by teammates Geraldo Orta and Marlin Lane. ' ' '
jj009, 12.09.2019 13:35