NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A former Vanderbilt football player who encouraged his teammates to rape an unconscious female student was sentenced Friday to 17 years in prison under a law requiring aggravated rape convicts to serve 100 percent of their time behind bars.After the hearing, prosecutors said they hoped the sentences handed down would send a message that people who commit these types of crimes on campus will be held accountable.Victims should know that there are people on their side -- whether police, prosecutors or judges- Assistant District Attorney Roger Moore said.Thats what I would like to see taken away from this -- that justice is going to be served, Moore said.Surveillance video showed Brandon Vandenburg helping to carry the woman into his dorm room, where testimony showed he handed out condoms to three of his teammates and egged them on. The 23-year-old former player also took cellphone videos of the June 2013 dorm room rape and emailed them to friends in California while the crime was ongoing.He was found guilty in 2015 but that verdict was overturned after lawyers learned that the jury foreman had not revealed that he had been a victim of statutory rape. Vandenburg was convicted again in June, on five counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated sexual battery and one count of unlawful photography.He faced a sentence of 15 to 25 years in prison, and his victim had asked for the maximum punishment.The woman, whom Vandenburg had begun dating shortly before the attack, did not appear in court Friday, but a prosecutor read her statement to Davidson County Criminal Court Judge Monte Watkins.Please do not use my absence as an excuse for leniency, as it in no way diminishes the profound and insidious impact of Mr. Vandenburg on me and my life, she wrote. I still ask that he receive the full sentence allowed under the law for orchestrating a sustained 30-minute gang rape against me, a defenseless woman who trusted him. The minimum sentence is not enough for what this man did to me.Vandenburg, already in jail since his second conviction, was also added to the state sex offender registry.The Associated Press does not normally identify victims of rape or sexual assault. The woman, who has since graduated from Vanderbilt and is pursuing a Ph.D. at another school, has tried to preserve her anonymity despite being forced to testify at multiple trials.Vandenburg apologized to her Friday. He told Judge Watkins that he was ashamed of what he had done and blamed it on alcohol.My judgment was severely impaired, and Im sad for everyone involved, Vandenburg said.The judge reiterated that this has been one of the saddest cases he has ever heard. He said Vandenburg abused the womans trust in the man she was dating. But for him, it would not have happened, Watkins said.Cory Batey, Vandenburgs former teammate, was convicted in a separate retrial and sentenced to 15 years.The cases of two other former teammates facing rape and other charges -- Jaborian Tip McKenzie and Brandon Banks, who remain out on bond -- have yet to be resolved. Gianluigi Buffon Jersey .com) - The Calgary Flames aim to bounce back from their first regulation home loss of the campaign on Friday night when they host a Detroit Red Wings club that they swept in three meetings a season ago. Marco Verratti Paris Saint-Germain Jersey . A lawyer for MLB, Matthew Menchel, confirmed Wednesday the league dropped its case against Biogenesis of America, its owner Anthony Bosch and several other individuals. The lawsuit had accused Biogenesis and Bosch of conspiring with players to violate their contracts by providing them with banned performance-enhancing substances. http://www.parissaintgermainfcstore.com/Women-Thiago-Silva-Paris-Saint-Germain-Jersey/ . -- Catcher Brett Hayes has agreed to a $630,000, one-year contract with the Kansas City Royals, avoiding salary arbitration. Moussa Sissako Paris Saint-Germain Jersey . -- Quarterback Will Finch threw for 252 yards and three touchdowns, and Yannick Harou rushed in two scores as the No. Marco Verratti Jersey . JOHNS, N. INDIANAPOLIS -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not race again this month because of concussion-like symptoms and the No. 88 car will be turned over to trusted former teammate Jeff Gordon for the next two weeks.Hendrick Motorsports announced Wednesday that Earnhardt has not yet been cleared to drive by doctors and will miss Sundays Brickyard 400 as well as next weekends race at Pocono. NASCARs most popular driver has been battling balance issues and nausea since a July 2 crash at Daytona.Earnhardt pulled himself out of the car last weekend in New Hampshire and was replaced by Alex Bowman. After another medical evaluation Tuesday in Pittsburgh, doctors told Earnhardt to take more time off.Our focus is giving Dale all the time he needs to recover, team owner Rick Hendrick said. Theres nothing we want more than to see him back in the race car, but well continue to listen to the doctors and follow their lead. Whats best for Dale is whats best for Hendrick Motorsports and everyone involved with the team. Were all proud of him and looking forward to having him racing soon.While retirement talk for the 41-year-old Earnhardt might be premature, his history of concussions is clearly a concern. He had two in a six-week span in 2012 and missed two races. The latest symptoms surfaced after a mid-June crash at Michigan International Speedway and the wreck at Daytona. Earnhardt said he felt steadily worse, believing it was allergies at first. A neurological specialist later confirmed Earnhardt had sustained a head injury.Ive struggled with my balance over the last four or five days, and I definitely wouldnt have been able to drive a race car this weekend, Earnhardt told fans in a recording made Sunday night. I made the decision I had to make.A team spokeswoman said Earnhardt will not take questions this week or next and that Gordon is not expected to speak publicly until Friday in Indy.The move comes at a time that Hendricks powerhouse team has been out of sync. Its drivers have been shut out of the top three finishing spots in four consecutive races. Hendrick is now turning to Gordon, the four-time NASCAR champion who retired at the end of last season. Hes a five-time winner at the Brickyard, which has struggled with sluggish ticket sales in the lead up to Sundays race at a track that is just a short drive awayy from his childhood home in Pittsboro, Indiana.ddddddddddddGordon has not competed since retiring after the 2015 season finale.Brickyard organizers had billed last years race as Gordons last ride on his home track. They were wrong.The 44-year-old Gordon will get one more chance to become the first driver to reach victory lane six times at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He also counts a record six wins at Pocono among his 93 career Cup victories, all with Hendricks team.Jeffs a team player, Hendrick said. I know hell be ready, and I know Dale has incredible trust in him. Its going to be an emotional weekend (at Indianapolis) with Dale not being there and seeing Jeff back behind the wheel. (Crew chief) Greg (Ives) and the team did a great job at New Hampshire, and they have the full support of our organization.Gordon steps into Earnhardts No. 88 Chevrolet at a time when Axalta, a longtime primary sponsor of Gordons, is scheduled to sponsor four of the next five races for Earnhardt. He will be racing against his much more familiar No. 24 car, which Chase Elliott drives.That will be a really weird feeling because the only car he ever drove was the 24, Fox Sports commentator and three-time Cup champ Darrell Waltrip said Wednesday. To climb in another car and compete against your old car -- I cant imagine what that must feel like, but its probably one of those surreal, out-of-body experiences.Not having Earnhardt in Sundays starting lineup also will be odd. The North Carolina resident has started every Brickyard since 2000.But even without one of NASCARs top drivers, Indiana fans will have two storied drivers to watch -- Gordons comeback and what is supposed to be Tony Stewarts grand finale on his home track. Stewart, a three-time Cup champ and two-time Brickyard winner, plans to retire at the end of this season.We wish the circumstances were different, but were thrilled anytime we see Jeff Gordon on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval and know our fans will love seeing him race again, speedway President Doug Boles said. Between Jeff making a return visit and Tony Stewart making his final Brickyard start, this will be a legendary weekend for Hoosier race fans at IMS! ' ' '